Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Travel Essentials

It's that time of year where travel is upon us, so I thought I would share with you my travel essentials.

My collage above is a fair representation of what I packed with me on my most recent trip to visit my family in Houston, TX. I currently live in Salt Lake City, UT, so the change in climate was big. I made sure to pack things that could transition from cold to hot easily. Houston has a tendency to have drastically different weather from one day to the next.

 Follow Me on Pinterest

What I took and wore on the plane:

The middle outfit is a representation of what I wore on the plane, with the drapey cardigan included.
  • Large Scarf: great for using as a makeshift pillow, or to snuggle up under if you get cold.
  • Drapey Cardigan: Great layering piece that is like being able to wrap a blanket around you.
  • Denim Vest: Loved this piece! New travel must have! The pockets were great to be able to slip my boarding pass into and easily accessed but secured when buttoned closed. And was a stylish addition to my outfit.
  • Loose Striped Top: Cute and comfy.
  • Back Leggings: Comfy and stretchy and so much better than sweat pants for a flight.
  • Black Knee High Boots: Mine have a side zip, so they were easily slipped on and off. It was easier to wear them than figuring out how to pack them, and they're comfortable. 
  • Carry on size suitcase: I had my carry on suitcase stuffed with as much as I could get in it.
  • Backpack: Then the backpack was my other carry on that I could stow under the seat in front of me. In it I stored my cosmetics, accessories, I-Pad, magazine, book, and curling irons.
  • Clutch: The clutch held my wallet and various paperwork essentials and my beloved Smith's Rosebud Salve ( This stuff is AMAZING! I have been using it for years and it works great on lips, hands, face, to tame fly aways, etc.) The clutch was easily stowed in my backpack as I boarded the plane. My clutch has a wrist strap which makes things sooo much easier. 
  • I-pad, book, and magazines: I always like to buy a magazine at the airport, then I also will have a book to read, and my I-pad.
I actually had packed a few more items that I didn't wear. I made the conscious decision to only pack my cutest and easiest outfits, so that I wouldn't wear something that I later would look back on and think, "Ewww!"

What I packed:

Tops:
  • Basic Black T-shirt: I had two, stretchy, v-neck and soft. Both from Target. Great for layering, but nice enough alone.
  • Black and White Drapey T-shirt: Comfy and stylish, great with leggings. Long enough to not feel bare.
  • Navy Blue and White striped bateau neck shirt with 3/4 sleeves: A classic. It's a clean, pulled together top, very Brigitte Bardo. Very French.(I love to pair mine with my leopard skirt and denim vest.)
  • Leopard Top: To me leopard is a neutral. It goes with almost anything. It was a way to dress up my skinnies and look pulled together while still being super comfortable.
Bottoms:
  • Leggings: I packed 3 pairs of black leggings. Worked well with my shirts and was cute under dresses too.
  • Black Skinny Jeans: I love my black skinnies. They end at the ankle and are so pulled together looking while being really comfortable.
  • Skinny Blue Jeans: Laid back and casual. Look great with ballet flats, sneakers, or tucked into my boots.
  • Leopard Print Pencil Skirt: Mine is stretchy and comfy and gives a bit of zip to a basic tee.
Dresses:
  • Black Sequin Dress: I wanted something party worthy. I wore this layered over a black t, and leggings, paired with my denim vest and boots.
  • Easy Dress up/Dress down Dress: I had a easy dress that I could wear to church, or go to the mall, or get lunch with friends. It was easily transitional.
Shoes:
  • Zip up Knee High Boots: Easy to walk in, great for changing climates, look pulled together, add interest to a simple outfit, I just love them.
  • Black Ballet Flats: I actually didn't pack mine and wished I had. Just classic. Comfortable and can dress up jeans, and look great with a skirt or dress.
  • Black Leather Vans: I love my Vans. They are the first ones I have ever owned. They are super comfy, and the black leather (rather than the usual canvas) adds a fun twist to my outfits.
  • Red Sandals: It eventually got warm while I was in Houston, so I was glad I had my sandals. Mine are a red mexican fabric and work well with so many looks. And I got to show off my cute pedicure while I was there :0)
Accessories:
  •  Black Knit Beanie: Great for transition weather. I've had mine since highschool. It's warm and looks cute with most outfits. 
  • Faux Fur Collar: Mine is from H&M (actually the one pictured) and I am in love with it! I wear it with sooo many things. I personally love to throw it over my denim vest to give a look a fun juxtaposition of grunge and glam.
  • Fun Jeweled Statement Knecklace: Mine is from Forever 21 and is super sparkly! It adds a fun touch to anything I pair it with.
  • A Fun Brooch: Mine is also from Forever 21 and I love it. (Keep your eye out when you shop, because F21 can have some great rhinestone jewelry that looks way more expensive than it is)
  • Rhinestone Headband: Also from Forever 21. Great way to have fun and dress up a simple look.
  • Scarves: I brought two. I large fun multi color leopard print one that I wore on the plane, and a vintage silk scarf I bought in SLC at Decades. It has several Italian landmarks on it that reminds me of when I lived in Florence at 21.
Makeup and Beauty: (I picked up my cleansers and shampoos at Target after I got to Houston)
  •  L'oreal's Mineral Powder foundation: Gives good coverage and is cheaper than Bare Minerals.
  • Nars Schiap Lipstick: Such a great pink.
  • L'oreal lipstick: I have the True Red and I pair it with a Ben Nye lip liner. Great red that works well with my pale skin.
  • Liquid eyeliner: Found a great one that is super cheap and easy to apply. It's a pen style, it was $2 and I honestly can't remember who it is by. 
  • Almay Blue Eye Eyeshadow Palette: Has a great copper color, and a good brown.
  • Wet n Wild Bronzer Palette: Gives good color and not too dark for my pale skin. Gives just enough warmth with its mix of pinks,golds, and bronze.
  • L'oreal Voluminous Mascara: I have used this off and on for years. A classic.
  • Not Your Mothers Beach Spray: I love this to give some texture to my straight hair, and when I curl my hair it creates beachy waves. You can find it in a travel size.
  • Cetaphil Cleanser and Mosturizer: Since moving to Utah my skin has become very sensitive. I had found this to be the best cleanser and cream that doesn't break me out and feels good on my skin too. You can get it in travel sizes too.
  • John Freida Frizz Serum: I love this stuff. It protects my hair from heat tools, gives shine, combats frizz, and makes my hair silky.


No comments:

Post a Comment