Monday, December 3, 2012

Are you prepared for Zombies?!


I've been a fan of Zombie movies for years and have been a fan of The Walking Dead show since it first aired. I often find myself contemplating: What I would do in such an emergency? What would I pack? Do I have enough stuff to hole up in my apartment? and certainly, What would I wear?

Follow Me on Pinterest

Well last night I answered the Wear question.
The middle selection is realistic representation of what I have that I would throw on. Since it is December and I currently live in Utah, layering is key

  • I would throw on my black jeans, a black cami, my 3/4 sleeve striped top, my black hoodie, my jean vest over the hoodie, my brown leopard scarf, my black beanie, and some fingerless gloves.
  • In my vest pockets I will have a pocket knife, lip balm, a steel and flint lighter.
  • Shoes wise I don't have the greatest practical selection. I'd throw on my black leather Vans and then snatch up a pair of knee high boots with good soles ASAP. 
  • Why knee high boots? Because I'll be traipsing through corpses and if one turns out to be a biter, I want my legs protected from Zombie teeth.
  • I'll have a cross body bag on, with my hoodie and vest over the strap (no need to have it get caught on anything or grabbed by undead hands ready to pull me in for a meal) 
  • A leather belt to attach my filtered water bottle to and to use if I need to tourniquet a leg or arm.
  • Black leather jacket (Believe me, I will be getting one ASAP. Good protection from zombie teeth.)
Inside of my cross body bag I will have:
  • small axe or large knife
  • a map of the area
  • Swiss army knife (have multiples)
  • lighter (have multiples!)
  • can opener (essential! carry more than one!)
  • sunscreen moisturizer (a wind chapped and sunburned face is no fun)
  • lip balm (have multiples)
  • duct tape (has soo many uses. Wrap your fore arms and calves (if not in boots) to help protect from close biting encounters)
  • Soap (my husband saves up the hotel soaps and lotions whenever he travels for work. So we have a ton. I will have a plastic bag full.)
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Coffee and Cigarettes (I personally do not smoke or drink coffee, but these things are great bargaining tools) (My husband also saves the coffee packs from the hotels.)
  • A small album of pictures with important documents tucked inside (hey you never know when you might need your I.D.)
  • First Aid Kit (multiples are always good)
  • My cell phone and charger (texting might work in the beginning and then later you might find a power source and at least you can use it to record findings. And GPS might work)
For Protection: 
  • My husband's gun and all the ammo I can get.
  •  A long handled shovel, can be used as a walking stick, to bash in zombie brains, strapped to my back pack, etc.
  • A hammer (and some nails packed in my bag) to board up windows, break glass, kill zombies.
  • An axe, used as weapon and to chop wood, break through doors, etc.
My answer to the What to pack question.
A back pack will contain:
  • Sleeping Roll tied to bottom of back pack
  • A dated journal (To record happenings, deaths, people, days/years)
  • Black Sharpies (To label things, write warnings, directional arrows, etc)
  • Duct Tape
  • Scriptures (Book of Mormon, Bible, etc)
  • Survival Guide
  • Local Maps
  • First Aid Kit
  • Soap
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Crank Radio/Flashlight (No batteries needed)
  • Black Trash bags and plastic baggies
  • Matches and Lighters
  • Binoculars
  • Utensils
  • Metal Mug (so you can boil water in if needed)
  • Can Opener
  • Pocket Knife
  • Sunblock Moisturizer
  • Lip Balm
  • Hammer
  • Axe or knife
  • Rope (about 50 ft of good strong rope)
Clothes to pack, rolled up at the bottom of your back pack:
(Makes a good pillow)
  • 2 pairs of underwear
  • 2 pairs of socks
  • Leggings or thermals for layering
  • Another pair of jeans
  • Camisole
  • Leather gloves
  • Denim button up
Please feel free to share any must haves that I left out :0) 
It's a team effort to survive! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment